Brexit Ready Workshop – Trade & Rules of Origin
Start date: 23/10/2019
Cost: Free to attend
This course, delivered by Namali Mackay, Government Trade Advisor, will walk you through the most important international trade issues – including tariffs, trade agreements and rules of origin – and highlight their impact on your business after Brexit. It will provide a simple overview of the world trading system and trade rules and demonstrate how and where your business fits into it. You will gain a solid understanding of rules of origin, their importance and potential effects on your goods after Brexit, including through practical exercises. The course will also explore trade agreements and how to both access them and benefit from existing and new arrangements.
- To provide an introduction and overview of the world trading system
- To highlight the key changes in international trade after Brexit and show the impact on UK businesses
- To explain the fundamentals of tariffs and their post-Brexit impact, including in a no-deal scenario
- To create an understanding of rules of origin and their impact on exports and imports
- To look at the trade negotiation process and how it affects businesses
- To explain how Free Trade Agreements work and how industry can make use of them
- To explain the importance of trade disputes and how to handle them
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of international trade mechanisms and their impact on your business after Brexit and be able to confidently represent your interests on these subjects.
Who should take this course:
- You should take this course if you are a UK business that imports and exports goods to Europe and/or the rest of the world, and want a good understanding of the international trading system. This course can also solidify basic knowledge levels on trade for those who want a strong refresher.
About the trainer:
- Namali Mackay is a former diplomat and was a trade negotiator for the Australian Government for over 12 years, having conducted trade negotiations in the WTO and Free Trade Agreements. During her diplomatic posting in London she was the Australian Government’s senior trade representative managing Australia’s trade and economic interests in the UK. She is currently a trade advisor to the government, private and non-government sectors in the context of Brexit including as Trade Advisor to the UK’s largest manufacturing trade body, Make UK, and as an Associate Advisor to KPMG, where she provides advice and training across the full range of trade policy issues. She sits on the Government’s Expert Trade Advisory Group and has been trained in HMRC’s Customs and trade Brexit readiness programmes. Namali is currently delivering a range of training workshops and courses on trade and customs issues to a variety of UK and European audiences.
- The workshop is free, and you can register here.
- The workshop will be held at David Lloyd Chorley, Moss Lane, Chorley, LAN PR6 8AB and parking is free
- The workshop will run from 10.00 – 16.00
- The workshop is limited to 20 places.
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided on the day.