The Northern Automotive Industry
The Industry in the North
The North produces over 40% of the UK’s total car production. There are four global vehicle manufacturers located in the NAA region:
Jaguar Land Rover (Halewood)
Stellantis – Vauxhall (Ellesmere Port)
Bentley Motors (Crewe)
Leyland Trucks (Leyland)
The Industry in the UK
- At a glance – 7 major premium and sports car manufacturers, 4 mainstream car manufacturers, 10 engine manufacturers, 9 design centres, 22 R&D centres, 2,500+ suppliers.
- In 2022, 775,014 cars, 101,600 commercial vehicles and 1.5 million engines were manufactured in the UK.
- 8 out of every 10 cars produced in the UK are exported overseas, to 130 different markets.
- The UK automotive industry is a vital part of the UK economy worth more than £67 billion turnover, it adds £14.1 billion value to the UK economy.
- With some 182,000 people employed directly in manufacturing and in excess of 780,000 across the wider automotive industry, it accounts for 10% of total UK export of goods, worth £32 billion, and invests £3 billion each year in automotive R&D.
(2022 data, Source SMMT)