The Northern Automotive Industry
The Industry in the North
The North produces over half a million passenger cars annually; representing over 40% of the UK’s total. There are four global vehicle manufacturers located in the NAA region. Their 2019 production volumes are as follows:
JLR (Halewood): 125,595
PSA – Vauxhall (Ellesmere Port): 61,737
Bentley (Crewe): 12,137
Leyland Trucks: 17,965
The Industry in the UK
- At a glance – 7 major premium and sports car manufacturers, 6 mainstream car manufacturers, 11 engine manufacturers, 5 design centres, 20 R&D centres, 2,400+ suppliers.
- In 2019, over 1.3 million cars, 78,270 commercial vehicles and 2.5 million engines were manufactured in the UK.
- 8 out of every 10 cars produced in the UK are exported overseas, to 160 different markets.
- The UK automotive industry is a vital part of the UK economy worth more than £82 billion turnover, it adds £18.6 billion value to the UK economy and 823,000 people are employed across the wider automotive industry.
- With some 168,000people employed directly in manufacturing and in excess of 823,000 across the wider automotive industry, it accounts for 4% of total UK export of goods, worth £44 billion, and invests £3.75 billion each year in automotive R&D.
(2019 data, Source SMMT)