NAA Members – Government Industrial Strategy Consultation Workshop 23rd March 2017
Start date: 23/03/2017
Cost: Free;- Please register via Eventbrite Link
Driving growth within the UK, our sector and region – let’s play our part in shaping the future industrial strategy!
Here is the link to the information that was generated at the workshop. Please feel free to use it in your own submissions, or if you can think of anything else that you believe it is important to be captured in the NAA response, then please email email@example.com by close of business on Monday 10th April for her to include it.
The Green Paper – “Building our Industrial Strategy” sets out the governments’ approach to build a modern industrial strategy for the long term (with some early actions which it has committed to take). This paper is a starting point for a consultation period (ending 17th April 2017) to ensure that the strategy is effective in delivering an economy that works for everyone.
The aim of the strategy is to address long-term challenges to the UK economy, improve living standards and enable economic growth by increasing productivity and driving growth across the whole country.
We need your support!
The Northern Automotive Alliance’s members will respond in a unified voice to the consultation. We are encouraging all members to join senior leaders from the automotive industry at our workshop to discuss and respond to strategy in a joined-up approach.
The automotive sector is widely mentioned in the paper and supporting the future growth of the sector is also highlighted. This is our opportunity to influence the way forward for our sector in our region and ensure the supply chain is properly integrated and represented. We want to ensure that our priorities, challenges, and ideas are incorporated into the long-term plan.
The Strategy sets out 10 Pillars as areas of focus (see link below). These areas will be cross-sector and have been chosen by the government because evidence shows that these areas drive growth.
- The paper sets out many ideas and suggestions that support the growth of manufacturing, R&D and the automotive sector in the UK. It also specifically mentions regional opportunities and the Northern Powerhouse strategy.
- The strategy outlines increased funding for Science, Research and Innovation e.g. new automotive technology, funding further research into autonomous vehicles, robotics and artificial intelligence, battery and hybrid technology, manufacturing processes and materials for the future.
- The government will look at further ideas regarding sector specific funding matched by industry like the funds created through Advanced Propulsion Centre
- A new Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund will be set up to back technologies at all stages where the UK has the potential to take an industrial lead
- Skills are a key area of focus. Plans will be put in place to identify and address sector specific skills gaps. The consultation will allow you the opportunity to ensure that your requirements and concerns are addressed.
- Inward investment: there will be a continued focus on inward automotive investment. The government is keen to know what more they can do to help companies start exporting or increase their exports – especially in relation to the supply chain.
- Greater access to finance and potential tax changes for research and development are also signposted.
- Cultivating world leading sectors is a key part of the strategy and the Automotive industry is a major focus within the strategy.
Above are just a few areas that will be of interest.
We would like our members to come together and play a part in shaping the future industrial strategy to drive growth within our sector and region. Please join us at our Industrial Strategy Consultation Workshop on 23rd March
The green paper can be downloaded using the following link: Green Paper Download Link
If you cannot participate in the event and still would like to give your input please email NAA directly with your response at Martina.firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to email@example.com and c.c. the NAA so we know your views and can consolidate them.
DATE AND TIME
Tue 23 March 2017
11:45 – 16:00
Partnership For Learning
Book here via Eventbrite Link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/naa-industrial-strategy-consultation-workshop-have-your-say-tickets-32085773412
Resources please download the following
Summary of Green Paper
Section 1:- industrial strategy science research innovation
Section 2:- industrial strategy developing skills
Section 3:- industrial strategy upgrading infrastructure
Section 4:- industrial strategy supporting businesses
Section 5:- industrial strategy improving procurement
Section 6:- industrial strategy encouraging trade investment
Section 7:- industrial strategy delivering affordable energy
Section 8:- industrial strategy cultivating world leading sectors
Section 9:- industrial strategy driving growth across country
Section 10:- industrial strategy creating right institutions
Industrial Strategy Consultation Questions