NAA Business Excellence Programme Update: Business Excellence Website Launch, Case Studies, Forthcoming Events and Exhibitions, and more…
This month Martin’s update covers the Business Excellence Website Launch, Business Excellence Competition, Case Studies, Membership, Forthcoming Events and Exhibitions, Business Excellence/Industry Awards, and Future Programme – Post December 2012..
Business Excellence Website Launch
I am pleased to announce that the Business Excellence Programme’s website is now live. The aim of the website is to raise the profile of our region’s automotive sector, individual companies and the programme and to share best practice, contacts and encourage networking and collaborations. The website address is www.naabusinessexcellence.co.uk. We are grateful to Future, for their support in developing the website. You will be asked to register and will be provided with login details. If you are currently not a member of Business Excellence, but would like to be, please contact me. The project is free to join, as it is subsidised by the European Regional Development Fund.
Business Excellence Competition
As the 2012 competition draws to a close, I am pleased to say that the majority of funds have been allocated. We have approved 42 projects to date, with a total value of over £600k. If you are seeking financial support for technical consultancy and mentoring, then I can currently still support you with 35% of costs, up to the programme’s contribution of £10,000, albeit that projects will need to be submitted for approval by the end of July, with an immediate start date. The aim of the fund is help automotive companies to make business improvements, which will help them to remain competitive and to grow. Projects supported have been diverse, from lean manufacture, to quality systems, to change management, to the development and implementation of marketing strategies.
If you are interested in obtaining funding to help you to carry out improvement projects, then please contact me to arrange a visit. I will take you through the application process, help to produce a tender specification, identify providers and assess the tenders with you. This whole process typically takes two weeks to complete, a limited amount of your time, and I can work to your timescale.
Case Studies Commissioned
Last month I announced that Promote had been commissioned to produce up to 30 case studies. In a short timescale, Promote has produced six case studies, which include:
- Overseas Market Introduction Service assists Autokontrol to open up new opportunities in Brazil.
- Funding allows Camcoat to set up the first DiamonDyze hard anodizine production line outside North America.
- Attendance at Low Carbon Vehicle event leads to £150,000 Technology Strategy Board project.
- North West companies attend SMMT Meet the Buyer event and gain introductions to key automotive purchasers.
- Tender support helps MWS to win contract with ATS.
- Europe’s largest commercial vehicle wheel distributor expands as marketing strategy is implemented.
These will be promoted through the NAA’s Business Excellence website, the NAA’s monthly e-news, press releases, presentations and, later in the year, a brochure. If you would like to know more about these case studies, please feel free to contact me.
Membership Continues to Grow
My original aim was to have 55 members signed up and I am pleased that membership currently stands at 61. If you are not already a member, I would be more than happy to explain how the BE programme can support you. It is free to all companies in the North West region’s automotive sector (and those looking to supply into it), and is supported by the European Regional Development Fund. Please contact me if you would like further details.
New members this month include:
- RHKI – a team of highly experienced engineers and scientists working within a research and development framework, focused on the challenges facing the global automotive industry. RHKI’s purpose is to develop and deliver cutting-edge emission control technologies into the global automotive market via industry partners through intellectual property licensing.
Forthcoming Events and Exhibitions
- R&D Tax Credits, 10 July, Partnership for Learning building, Halewood.
- Cenex Low Carbon Vehicle show on 5 & 6 September 2012, at Millbrook Proving Ground, Bedford. Once again we will be paying for the vast majority of stand costs. I would love to hear from companies interested in joining our delegation and exhibiting. Opportunities are available for both the private sector and academic institutions, so if you are interested please contact me at the earliest opportunity.
- Automechanika, Frankfurt, Germany – 11 to 16 September 2012. I am very pleased to say that we have already filled our stand at Automechanika, Frankfurt this September, with four companies from our region. Upon completion of the show, I will report back through the newsletter.
Business Excellence/Industry Awards
In October, the NAA will be holding Business Excellence/Industry Awards, which will provide an opportunity for companies to celebrate their successes and obtain recognition from the sector. We are in the early stages of developing the criteria for the awards, but please keep a look out for emails inviting applications in early July.
Future Programme – Post December 2012
I am pleased to say that work has commenced on the potential extension to our Business Excellence Programme. The current programme runs until December 2012. My aim is to demonstrate to our ERDF funders that it is important to continue to support the automotive sector, for which I am looking for a project extension to mid-2015. I hope that you will support me in this endeavour, with letters of support and information about how the project has benefitted your companies. I will keep you informed of progress.
If you are interested in finding out more about joining the Business Excellence Programme and any of the above, then please contact me. My email and telephone numbers are as follows: email@example.com, telephone 0151 486 4986 (general) or 07870 812214 (direct mobile).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dr Martin Andrews
Northwest Automotive Alliance