NAA Member News: Bentley secures UK production of first electric car and commits to £2.5 billion sustainability investment in a decade
Bentley’s first-ever Battery-Powered Electric Vehicle (BEV) will be developed and built in the UK with the company committing to investing £2.5 billion in sustainability over the next ten years.
• Major sustainable investment in UK economy secures Bentley’s future at Crewe plant
• First Battery-powered Electric Vehicles (BEV) due in three years’ time
• BEVs key to Bentley’s ground-breaking Beyond100 plans
• Beyond100 strategy is redefining company as benchmark luxury automotive manufacturer
• New ‘Bentley Dream Factory’ announced as industry-leading sustainable investment in historic Crewe campus
• Dream Factory will transform Bentley operations into the future benchmark of luxury car manufacturing with unique customer and employee experiences. Ultra-flexible, hyper personalised facility combines craftsmanship and digital manufacturing concepts
• Go-to-zero approach on manufacturing will reduce environmental impact to a minimum for every vehicle built in Crewe
• Ambitious approach will make Bentley exclusively electric and end-to-end carbon neutral by 2030
Bentley’s first-ever Battery-Powered Electric Vehicle (BEV) will be developed and built in the UK with the company committing to investing £2.5 billion in sustainability over the next ten years. The announcement is a major boost for the UK economy and also helps secure Bentley’s first step into electrification at the production plant, where all Bentley models are built and 4,000 colleagues work.
The first BEV is scheduled to roll off the production line in 2025 and will mark a significant moment in Bentley’s long and illustrious history. It is also a critical step in the company’s Beyond100 strategy – the ground-breaking plan launched in 2020 that will ensure Bentley is exclusively electric and end-to-end carbon neutral by 2030.
The significant investment programme will also result in a complete transformation of Bentley’s entire product portfolio, and the historic Crewe Campus by embedding an industry-leading greenfield facility into a world-leading, next generation digital, low environmental impact, high-value advanced manufacturing facility.
Adrian Hallmark, Chairman and CEO of Bentley Motors, said: “Beyond100 is the boldest plan in Bentley’s illustrious history, and in the luxury segment. It’s an ambitious and credible roadmap to carbon neutrality of our total business system, including the shift to 100 per cent BEV in just eight years.
“Our aim is to become the benchmark not just for luxury cars or sustainable credentials but the entire scope of our operations. Securing production of our first BEV in Crewe is a milestone moment for Bentley, and the UK, as we plan for a long-term sustainable future in Crewe.”
Peter Bosch, Board Member for Manufacturing at Bentley Motors, added: “Today is arguably the most important day in Bentley’s modern history, and is a testament to the hard work and skill of our colleagues in Crewe. The journey really does start now. We are already marking the pinnacle in luxury car production and have already transformed our factory to become carbon neutral, with industry-leading environmental credentials. With our new ‘Dream Factory’ concept, we now go to zero also with water, waste and other environmental impacts until 2030. Unique craftsmanship, customer interaction and employee experience will be enhanced by digital tech, higher flexibility and new ways of personalisation. We will develop the best of Crewe into the future benchmark of luxury car manufacturing.”